You will be asked to enter your library card number when logging in to some of these resources.
Resources marked with a logo icon are available to Swampscott residents from home and to others from library computers.
Temporarily available from home for Swampscott residents!
Ancestry.com Normally available only on library computers, Ancestry Library Edition is temporarily available to any Swampscott Resident with a library card.
Tutorials from Niche Academy
EBSCOHost Research Databases – This link provides access to many EBSCO databases.
Gale Databases – (Formerly InfoTrac) This link provides access to many Gale databases. Click on General OneFile for a good starting point.
A to Z World Travel – Travel information for 200 major cities of the world.
World Book Online – World Book Online Encyclopedia and Information Finder.
Encyclopaedia Britannica – The Britannica Public Library edition.
Consumer Reports Magazine – Free access to ConsumerReports.org
Price It! Antiques & Collectibles – Price It! Antiques & Collectibles is the ultimate identification, research and pricing tool for collectors, dealers, appraisers and anyone in between.
Biography in Context – Short biographies of thousands of famous individuals.
World Almanac – Essential facts and statistics on hundreds of fascinating topics.
The Newspaper databases include articles written by staff journalists but not materials such as stock reports, classifieds, or advertisements.
- The Swampscott Reporter –
- Access World News – The Herald, Marblehead Reporter, USA Today and more.
- World News Digest – World news coverage from 1940 through today.
- Massachusetts Newsstand – The Boston Globe, 1980 to present.
- The New York Times – Articles from 1995 to the present.
- Academic Search Elite – Full text for more than 1,500 peer-reviewed titles.
- Expanded Academic ASAP – This database meets research needs across all academic disciplines.
- Kids Search – Easy searching for kids in grades K – 8.
- Gale in Contest – Elementary – (formerly Kids InfoBits) Easy searching for kids in grades K – 5.
- Middle Search Plus – Articles for middle and junior high school research.
- Student Edition – Research articles for High School students.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context – Informed, differing viewpoints on many issues.
- Science in Context – From acid rain to zoology.
Classes, Test Prep and Resumes
- *NEW* Learning Express Computer Skills Center – Free easy-to-follow video tutorials with beginner- to advanced-level instruction.
- Cypress Resume – Helps you build your own resume quickly and easily.
- Universal Class – Universal Class is a collection of over 500 free non-credit continuing education courses. It includes topics from Accounting to Hobbies to Home Schooling to Web Development. Register here. Login here.
- Mango Languages – Learn to speak a new language quickly and easily.
- Testing & Education Reference Center –Search for undergraduate and graduate school programs, find tuition assistance providers, and use the many career exploration tools.
- Driving-Tests.org – Driving-Tests.org has the current edition of the Massachusetts driver’s manual and free practice permit tests. (Note: for the driver’s manual, click on the Handbooks tab and choose either Drivers, Motorcycle or CDL)
- Health Reference Center – In-depth coverage of health issues, treatments, anatomy and nutrition.
- Magill’s Medical Guide – Articles from the current Magill’s health encyclopedia.
- Health Source: Consumer Edition – Health information for the lay person.
- Merck Manuals – Information on medical topics, symptoms, drugs, procedures, news and more, written in everyday language.
- Merck Verterinary Manual – Information on animal health topics, written for the veterinary professional.
Business, Law and Money
- Updated link Value Line – Value Line Investment Survey provides financial information designed to help investors make informed investment decisions. Click on the tab for “Investment Education” to view tutorials on improving financial skills.
- Morningstar Investment Research – Investment data from a leading financial research company. Our license allows one user at a time so if you get an error message, try again in a few minutes.
- AtoZdatabases – AtoZdatabases is the Premier Job Search, Reference & Mailing List Database including 30 million business profiles & 220 million residents.
- Business Source Premier – Enhanced Interface – This lists company profiles, industry profiles, country reports, and market research reports.
- Mass Trial Court Law Libraries – Links to Massachusetts Laws, Ask a Law Librarian chat feature, and more.
- BookBrowse – Find your next great book with this interactive magazine for booklovers.
- NoveList Plus – A guide to books that includes book reviews, author read-alikes, book discussion guides, book talks, and much more for over 135,000 fiction and nonfiction titles.
- NoveList Plus K – 8 – A guide to books for Elementary and Middle School students.
- MasterPlots – Link updated! Plot synopses and critical evaluations of literary works, ancient through modern.
- Literary Reference Center – Critiques of authors and their works. Your patron ID is your library card number.
- Critical Survey of Long Fiction – Biographical and critical analysis of the most studied novelists and their works.
- NextReads – A monthly e-mail newsletter service which will send you great book suggestions by email.
- Mango Languages – Learn to speak a new language quickly and easily.
- ChiltonLibrary – Manuals for thousands of domestic and imported models of cars and light trucks from 1940 onward.
- The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety – Crash test ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- U.S. Department of Energy – The official U.S. government source for fuel economy information
- Kelley Blue Book – Car values, Reviews and research tools
- NADA – New and used car prices from NADA
- Driving-Tests.org – Driving-Tests.org has the current edition of the Massachusetts driver’s manual and free practice permit tests. (Note: for the driver’s manual, click on the Handbooks tab and choose either Drivers, Motorcycle or CDL.)
- *NEW* MyHeritage Library Edition – One of the largest, most internationally diverse genealogy databases of its kind in the world. Your Patron ID is your library card number.
- HeritageQuest – Federal Census images from 1790 – 1930 and other information for genealogists.
- Sources available at the library – The library also subscribes to Ancestry.com and American Ancestors (from the New England Historical Genealogical Society). Due to licensing restrictions these sources are available only at the library.
- Encyclopedia of American Immigration – Articles about many immigrant groups and the issues surrounding immigration.
- U.S. History in Context — Delivers coverage of the most-studied topics — from the arrival of Vikings in North America to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- World History in Context — Reaches back to ancient times and extends to today’s headlines.
- Britannica Spanish Reference Center — Includes Enciclopedia Moderna for high school and college ages and Escolar Online for ages 6-12.