Learning Series Podcasts: Librarians by the Sea Local History Episodes
- Interview with Mary Cassidy about New Ocean House
- Interview with Mary Cassidy about the Summer Estates
- Interview with Lou Gallo about the Swampscott Fish House
- Interview with Molly Conner about the Humphrey House
- Interview with Sylvia Belkin about Elihu Thomson
- Interview with Deb Bogardus about Andrews Chapel
- Video with Mary Cassidy about the Swampscott Sea Serpent
Local History Resources
- Essex National Heritage Commission — The Essex National Heritage Commission was organized to preserve and promote the historic, cultural, and natural resources of the Essex National Heritage Area which covers the 500 square miles and thousands of historical sites in eastern Massachusetts north of Boston.
- Library Centennial 1917-2017 –Library events from our Centennial year.
- Library History A brief history of the Swampscott Public Library.
- Swampscott Digital Collection – NOBLE Digital Heritage Site — NOBLE, our library consortium, has collected historic images from most of our local libraries. Swampscott images are featured at this link.
- Swampscott Reporter — Available to Swampscott residents with a library card or anyone using a library computer.
- Swampscott Town Annual Reports
- Swampscott Town Website — Official local government site for the Town of Swampscott
- New Vital Records to 1850 – Swampscott area births, deaths, and marriages are recorded in theses two volumes which were compiled before Swampscott was incorporated as a town in 1852.
*New* Swampscott Maps and Atlases
- 1872. A single page map of Swampscott, including areas of Marblehead and Peabody. Published by De Beers. Curtsey of the State Library of Massachusetts.
- 1880. Atlas of the town of Swampscott, Mass. Published by G.M.Hopkins. Curtsey of the State Library of Massachusetts.
- 1897. Atlas of the town of Swampscott, Mass. Published by Geo. W. Stadly & Co. Curtsey of the State Library of Massachusetts.
- 1905. Atlas of the City of Lynn Massachusetts. Includes, also, the towns of Swampscott and Saugus. Published by L.J.Richards & Co. Curtsey of the State Library of Massachusetts.
- 1924. Richards standard atlas of the City of Lynn and the towns of Swampscott, Saugus and Nahant Massachusetts. Published by Richards Map Company, 1924. Curtsey of the State Library of Massachusetts.
*New* Program covers from Tributes to Martin Luther King Jr. that were done in the Swampscott Schools in the late 80’s and 90’s
Recently added photos
Beaches, Fish House, Monument Avenue, New Oean House
Photos added during the Library Centennial, 2017
Swampscott Through the Years: A pictorial history
- Swampscott Historic Photos Slide Show
- Swampscott Historic Photos on Flickr
- Swampscott’s 50th Anniversary–1902
- Street Scenes
- Veterans & Town Memorials
- Views of Swampscott
- Beach Scenes
- Swampscott Yacht Club
- Carrie Phillips Schooner
- Town Hall (original)
- General Glover Inn
- Sunbeam Farm
- Houses & Family Homes
- Youtube video of the New Ocean House fire
Hadley Junior High