Historical Photos of Swampscott, Library Original library building, built 1917 Library first addition, 1955 Library 1997 addition Mrs William Lawrence Dr. William Lawrence who donated money and books to start Swampscott’s first library, located in a room in Town Hall. Elihu Thomson, co founder of General Electric and donor of land for the library. Miss Sarah L. Honors, Librarian from 1880 to 1924. . . Librarian Susan Duval Nellis checks a book out to a borrower. Library display Bestsellers of 1948 . New children’s books of 1952. . . The Thomas Condon family visits the library. Girls studying in 1952. Girls studying in 1976.